Lead Backend Software Engineer for VR Medical Technology
San Francisco, CA
Remote Work Possible? -
Make a difference in the cutting-edge field of VR Medical Technology! The successful candidate will work closely with our technology, business, research, and operational partners to develop and operate Karuna’s cloud-based server infrastructure. Our server infrastructure provides two key roles: collecting and storing patient data as they use our VR experiences and allowing researchers and clinicians to generate and review patient progress through their healing journey.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop APIs in Django/Python/Postgres to manage customer accounts, collect patient data, and report on the collected data
- Interface with our client engineers who will use these APIs on HTC, Oculus, and Pico headsets
- Create tools for researchers and clinicians to query and analyze patient data
- Operate the server infrastructure on AWS
- Developing monitoring systems to ensure smooth operation
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science
- 2+ Years of Django Development Experience
- 4+ Years of Data Warehouse Experience with PostgreSQL
- Demonstrated strength in SQL, data modeling, and data warehousing
- Experience working with AWS with an understanding of Kinesis, S3, EC2, etc.
- Experience maintaining data warehouse systems
- Experience supporting query tools allowing non-engineer researchers to access and view data
- Can wear multiple hats in a small company environment (engineer/devops/analytics)
- Get "stuff" done attitude
- A self-starter who can work independently with limited supervision
- Possess a talent for quickly mastering technology
Karuna is an early-stage venture-backed digital therapeutics company. We build immersive virtual reality technology designed to treat chronic pain by retraining the brain. Karuna’s evidence-based approach to chronic pain leverages physical therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, and cognitive neuroscience to treat conditions by resolving sensory motor incongruences and helping patients to overcome fear-avoidant behavior. Karuna’s mission is to become a first line defense for chronic pain.